The rub rail installation is now complete! I am very happy with the results as it gives the boat an instant facelift. All the old holes from the old rub rail were filled and sanded. The new rub rail actually fits the profile much better than the old one. There is a lip where the upper half and lower half of the boat come together. The old rub rail didn't fit around this lip like the new rub rail. The 'rope' part of the rub rail that goes into the main channel needed a little coaxing with some soapy water but finally slid into place. This item can now be marked complete!

 

Before - with old decals and graphic (and old rub rail)

 

Port Side - Old rub rail

 

Port Side - Old rub rail

 

After - New rub rail (starboard side)

After - New rub rail (port side)

After - New rub rail (stern)

 

Now on to the horn ... The old horn doesn't work. It was pretty well corroded as were the wiring connections. When I removed the horn, it came apart and was full of chunks of debris. I had to remove some of the monkey fur lining in the cabin to get to the wires and see how things were wired. The connections were not exactly water tight and the connections easily separated from the corrosion. I had to splice in an extension wire to give me a little more room. The grey monkey fur lining is not my favorite but it will have to do for now. That will have to be a project for another day. The new horn is about the same size and style so it fits the space perfectly. I wired up the horn and tested it before I finalized the connections and made them watertight. The horn is loud and works perfectly. While this change is not dramatic, it does add a little shiny bling to the outside of the cockpit!

 

Old horn

 

Old horn gone

 

New Horn (before install)

 

New Horn Installed

 

The field sending unit had a fair amount of corrosion on it which I cleaned up by installing a new connector and scraping away all the debris. The fuel hose had a split in the outer layer. Luckily there was plenty of hose to trim away the bad section and reconnect the hose. In preparation of resealing the deck plate, I had to remove all of the old sealant from the deck plate and the outer connecting area. For this job, I used a metal scraper and cleaner. I positioned the deck plate, dipped the screws in 4200 sealant and fastened down the deck plate. I then applied Lifeseal around the gaps of the deck plate and cleaned up. With this job complete, the deck is now ready for the install of the bait tank.

 

Small deck covers removed

 

Fuel sending unit and split fuel hose

 

Deck Plate Removed

Isolated View of trimmed hose (not clamped yet).

Deck Plate moved into place. Split fuel hose is repaired and clamped.

 

Deck plate is sealed

 

Share This

Share this post with your friends!

%d bloggers like this: