Man, there were a lot of lessons learned with this task. The first lesson I learned too late. Applying the long pin stripes on the hull should be a 2 person job. I did the job solo and while the end result looks good, those long stripes are not exactly straight. The second lesson learned is that these should be applied in long lengths instead of short lengths - this is why this job should be done by 2. From 10 feet away , it's not too noticeable but standing at one end of the boat and looking down the stripe, it looks wavy. I think I'll try to hold a straight edge up (with help) and use a blade to lightly score the decal to force a straight line. That should do the trick. Up above, the old decals were close to the hardware so using the whizzy wheel wasn't practical. I ended up using a heat gun and peeling the decals off. For some reason these came off in long pieces where the decals on the hull were more easily removed with the whizzy wheel. The new decals definitely improve the look of the boat significantly as the color is a deep navy where the old decals had bleached out to more of a sky blue and were scratched and cracked in many areas.

The hull and upper deck starboard and port sides were buffed and polished before the application of the new decals. Once I apply the new boat name decal tomorrow, the hull will be ready to be waxed. I'll finish buffing and polishing the exterior of the cockpit area and then apply wax to this section. The difference between the parts that have been buffed and polished  and the parts that have not been treated is quite dramatic. I don't think the photos clearly show this difference. 

This weekend, I plan on spending all day Saturday and Sunday getting as much done as possible. Patry will likely join me tomorrow which is always nice. 


Before (Starboard side)


Before (Port side)
Whizzy wheel attempt at removing the old decals


After (Starboard side)


After (Port side)

Share This

Share this post with your friends!

%d bloggers like this: